To make a good tomato sauce, you need patience and love! That’s what my grandmother used to say when making her famous tomato pasta, with beautiful home-grown tomatoes and her homemade tomato sauce preserves.
The more you ‘nurse’ your sauce and allow time for the flavours to come together, the better it’ll taste.
Another secret of a good pasta sauce is bell peppers – roasted or sauteed, they add sweetness and earthiness to the sauce. So don’t skip these.
Without further ado, here’s how to make a delicious tomato and tofu ragout:
1 pack pasta
1 can chopped tomatoes
2 cloves garlic
1 bell pepper (red/yellow/orange)
2 fresh tomatoes
1 tbsp concentrated tomato puree
3 stalks fresh thyme
1 stalk fresh rosemary
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp brown sugar
1-2 gulps of Tabasco sauce (optional)
1 tbsp dried herbs
Salt + Pepper
1. Chop all veggies in small pieces including the fresh tomatoes.
2. Saute the chopped onions and peppers in olive oil until soft.
3. Add the chopped/crushed garlic and season with salt and pepper and cook until soft.
4. Add the chopped fresh tomatoes.
5. Add the fresh herb stalks to infuse the sauce (you can leave them in whole and remove them after the sauce has cooked)
6. Cook until the tomatoes soften
7. Add the canned tomatoes and the tomato puree and cook for a further few minutes.
8. Add the cinnamon, sugar, tabasco and dried herbs.
9. Simmer for 15-20 mins and keep tasting the sauce, adjusting to your liking. Turn off heat and leave to cool down.
10. Cook the pasta as instructed on the pack.
11. Transfer the cooked and chilled sauce in a blender and mix.
12. Add the tofu and blitz until just about incorporated. You don’t want to over blend at this stage.
Serve with (vegan) Parmesan cheese on top.