The time has come for me to perfect my own version of vegan mac & cheese. And I know I have a recipe you will come back to again and again. I know I will – in fact, I’m making it again this weekend, two weeks in a row.
Let’s start with the secrets of the perfect sauce:
- a vegetable stock cube
- 1 sweet potato + 1 normal potato
- mustard powder
- Serve immediately rather than finish in the oven
- Reheat your leftovers by adding plant milk to them until creamy again
Here’s the full ingredient list
- 500g macaroni
- 150g cashews (soaked overnight for the smoothest result)
- 1 sweet potato
- 1 yellow potato
- 1 onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 5 seitan slices (optional)
- 2-3 handfuls of kale
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 1-2 cups plant milk
- 1-2 tbsp almond butter
- 3-4 tbsp nutritional yeast
- juice from 1/2 lemon
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- 1-2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp nutmeg
- 1 tbsp paprika
- Olive oil, salt and pepper
- Cut the sweet potato, yellow potato, onion and garlic cloves into small chunks and put in a pan.
- Cover with water and add the veggie stock cube. Boil until soft.
- Meanwhile, cut the seitan pieces into thin bits and crisp up in a frying pan, where you heated a tbsp of olive oil. Set aside until later.
- Cook the macaroni as per the pack instructions while you make the sauce.
- Steam the kale for 3 minutes.
- In a blender, put the boiled veggies including the water they boiled in, the soaked cashews and all the other ingredients (except the macaroni and kale, of course)
- Blend until very smooth (few minutes depending on blender), taste and adjust with more yeast flakes, salt, pepper. Add more vegan milk if not fluid enough.
- Drain the macaroni, pour the sauce on top and mix, add the kale and some of the seitan and incorporate.
- Serve immediately, with crispy seitan pieces on top, grated vegan cheese (optional) and a bit of paprika.
Not only is this dish soooo comforting and delicious, but it’s packed with nutrients and protein. You’re getting your B12 from the yeast flakes, carotene from the sweet potato, vit D and other supplements from the fortified plant milk and iron, calcium and tons of goodness from the kale.
Enjoy and make it again and again, without any guilt.